Bible Thumpers

Got a beef with the flock?

Bible Thumpers

Postby deathmagnetic1984 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 am

I worked with this moron who would try and convert everyone in the store over to his strict christian beliefs. Of course I would never convert and he got very angry at that. I grew up in a methodist household and had very abusive experiences with religion, part of the reason why I hate people! lol

What pisses me off about bible thumpers is that they belief the bible is the word of god. The frickin bible was written, translated and RE-translated many times by HUMAN BEINGS. Human beings and their ideas, imaginations and biases.

The bible's just a freaking book for christ's sake.
deathmagnetic1984

Re: Bible Thumpers

Postby cartmanland » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:01 pm

It's not just a book, it's an abomination and it's the reason why we have absolutely failed as species. People are friggin' weak and I can't wait till I'm not part of this failure of a world anymore.
cartmanland

Postby phenproximo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm

cartmanland wrote:It's not just a book, it's an abomination and it's the reason why we have absolutely failed as species. People are friggin' weak and I can't wait till I'm not part of this failure of a world anymore.

I think that's simplistic. A book is a book. The problem is that, as you said, people are idiots, and if it wasn't gonna be the Bible, something else would have taken its place.
The truth will set you free, but first it'll make you miserable.
phenproximo

Postby cartmanland » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 pm

phenproximo wrote:...if it wasn't gonna be the Bible, something else would have taken its place.

Yes, because people are weak. They need a bedtime story with a happy ending (exactly what bible is) so they can rest their pretty little heads. And they do, they sleep like friggin' babies at night. Most of them, anyway. Those pieces of shit! People are nothing but overgrown babies, with guns. I can't stress strongly enough how deeply ashamed I am to be associated with these utter c*nts (humans, that is).
cartmanland

Postby D R IE A M » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm

I just hate how people have to throw their beliefs in others' faces. I mean, I understand inviting people to your church and all of that, but most people take it too far.

My teacher got on the subject of religion the other day, and some girl had the nerve to ask my teacher "You mean there are people here who don't believe in God?" Knowing full well of my beliefs.

I responded by asking my teacher "You mean there are seniors in High School who don't know what an atheist is?"

It was a great laugh, even for my highly Christian teacher.
D R IE A M

Postby WIHP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:00 pm

D R IE A M wrote:I just hate how people have to throw their beliefs in others' faces. I mean, I understand inviting people to your church and all of that, but most people take it too far.

I can do without the invitation to church.
While I was shopping at a garden center, I met an older man (70ish) and his wife. I found myself having a pleasant conversation about perennials with them and after about 10 minutes he said how nice it would be if I would attend their church. I thanked him and stated that I'm atheist. His smile dropped to a wounded puppy pout and he said, "Oh, but you were so nice". I'm still not quite sure what he meant by that.
In any case, the South has the mother-load of bible thumpers. Baptists are the holiest of holy rollers down here and you can hardly step out of the house without being asked which church you attend or that you should go to theirs (apparently theirs is better than whichever one you attend).
At this point the Bible Thumpers just make me laugh.
~ There is a little truth in all humor.
WIHP
Site Admin

Postby D R IE A M » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 am

Why I Hate People wrote:
D R IE A M wrote:I just hate how people have to throw their beliefs in others' faces. I mean, I understand inviting people to your church and all of that, but most people take it too far.

I can do without the invitation to church.
While I was shopping at a garden center, I met an older man (70ish) and his wife. I found myself having a pleasant conversation about perennials with them and after about 10 minutes he said how nice it would be if I would attend their church. I thanked him and stated that I'm atheist. His smile dropped to a wounded puppy pout and he said, "Oh, but you were so nice". I'm still not quite sure what he meant by that.
In any case, the South has the mother-load of bible thumpers. Baptists are the holiest of holy rollers down here and you can hardly step out of the house without being asked which church you attend or that you should go to theirs (apparently theirs is better than whichever one you attend).
At this point the Bible Thumpers just make me laugh.

Hell, I know all about the south. Been in Mississippi for 17 years now. D:

I do agree, your story does suck. I would have a problem with that. I mean, it's different if a friend asks you just casually and once you answer, they're like "oh, alright" or something.

If they throw insults or otherwise, well, then too bad. They just condemned their whole religion to me.
D R IE A M

Postby cartmanland » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 am

Why I Hate People wrote:I thanked him and stated that I'm atheist. His smile dropped to a wounded puppy pout and he said, "Oh, but you were so nice".

D R IE A M wrote:I mean, it's different if a friend asks you just casually and once you answer, they're like "oh, alright" or something.

That's prejudice in it's purest form. And don't forget that people rarely think first and then open their pieholes.
cartmanland

Postby D R IE A M » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 pm

cartmanland wrote:
Why I Hate People wrote:I thanked him and stated that I'm atheist. His smile dropped to a wounded puppy pout and he said, "Oh, but you were so nice".

D R IE A M wrote:I mean, it's different if a friend asks you just casually and once you answer, they're like "oh, alright" or something.

That's prejudice in it's purest form. And don't forget that people rarely think first and then open their pieholes.

Very true. I've never had much of a problem with others, thankfully. Though, I have lost a friend and a girlfriend. Which is perfectly fine.
D R IE A M

Postby Willow The Collie » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Crazy people like that want me to turn Atheist sometimes. I'm Catholic, but I'm not going to flip out just because someone else doesn't share the same belief as I do. I hate how all these super religious people think they know exactly what God likes and doesn't like.(If you even believe in the Catholic/Christian stuff. xD)
Willow The Collie

Postby Wiseamn27 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm christian because honestly if there wasn't an all powerful supreme being to keep this load of crap we call a race intact we all would have killed each other by now, but I despise people who shove their beliefs in others faces or are uneducated about whatever pack of lambs they follow. I stay in the shadows about the whole religion thing. Unless someone figures it out on their own, I don't bring it up. Mainly because of the nincomshits that OP described. Gotta love this website. It seems like the last sane people on earth made a website.
Only children and stupid people think they're special.
Wiseamn27

Postby cartmanland » Sat May 07, 2011 4:43 am

There was this guy I met on the sidewalk the other day who was passing flyers, warning people about cults and such and at the same time advertising christianity as the only true religion. And I said to myself "well, how hypocritical is that?". I told that to my mum the next day and she looked at me like I was nuts. :lol:
cartmanland

Postby phenproximo » Sat May 07, 2011 7:23 am

cartmanland wrote:There was this guy I met on the sidewalk the other day who was passing flyers, warning people about cults and such and at the same time advertising christianity as the only true religion. And I said to myself "well, how hypocritical is that?".

Maybe I'm naive, but I get the sense that such people are sincere in their intentions yet too damn stupid to see the gaping, cavernous cracks in their logic. I guess they're more "useful idiots" than outright hypocrites.
The truth will set you free, but first it'll make you miserable.
phenproximo

Postby cartmanland » Sat May 07, 2011 10:59 am

phenproximo wrote:Maybe I'm naive, but I get the sense that such people are sincere in their intentions...

Yes, I suppose there is that. But I personally don't see the difference between any two religions/cults anymore. To me they're all made for one and the same purpose: corrupt minds.
cartmanland

Postby fiberchick » Sat May 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Why I Hate People wrote: While I was shopping at a garden center, I met an older man (70ish) and his wife. I found myself having a pleasant conversation about perennials with them and after about 10 minutes he said how nice it would be if I would attend their church. I thanked him and stated that I'm atheist. His smile dropped to a wounded puppy pout and he said, "Oh, but you were so nice". I'm still not quite sure what he meant by that.

It means he liked you and he's honestly sorry that you're going to hell.

I had a friend who lived in Utah for years and all his mormon friends looked upon him with sincere pity because he would not be going to heaven with them. (I think there was a chance he could go to some heaven, but not the good one. I don't know, it was a bit confusing when he explained it to me.)

What I hated most about bible-thumpers was (when I lived in the South) being asked if I was "saved". I found the question both insulting and sad. Insulting, of course because the implication to saying "no" ("I am not Christian") is that I'm damned for all eternity. And sad because they truly believe that because they follow a certain set of rules they will go to heaven while millions of others, regardless of how well or ill they lead they lives, will not.

Either way, I've never met an atheist who tried to force their ideas onto anyone else, but I've met plenty of deists (mostly Christian) who do. For a religion that supposedly supports tolerance, they're not very tolerant.

deathmagnetic1984 wrote:The bible's just a freaking book for christ's sake.

:lol: Was this supposed to be a pun?
fiberchick

Return to Religion